Emergency Assistance from EGLE

If you have an emergency situation (i.e., house is ready to fall), the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, & Energy (EGLE) will now issue what is called a "night permit."  This permit will be issued in no more than 24 hours.  EGLE is reassigning staff to shorten the time it takes to get a regular permit.  

You can use temporary protection without a permit, that includes sandbags (you will still have to go through the permit process, but you do not need one beforehand).  The fee for temporary protection has been lowered and the need for a public notice is waived.

Call EGLE's Environmental Assistance Center at 1-800-622-9278 for more information and to see if you qualify for this emergency assistance.

EGLE has also posted some very useful information on their website: